Saturday, June 6, 2015

Summertime Stride 5K Race Recap

This past Tuesday, my dad told me about a 5k race taking place in the town where he lives, about 25 minutes from my house. He asked if I would be interested in running with him and my stepmom and I said of course. We ran it together (okay, not exactly together but we were both in the same race...) last year and it was a lot of fun. I set a then-PR of 21:52 and finished 3rd overall female. Why wouldn't I want to do it again?

Biking to the race
To allow myself a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning, I slept at my dad's on Friday night. We had pizza for dinner- my typical prerace meal, along with a bottle of Nuun- and then watched a movie until bedtime. I had trouble sleeping but was in bed by 10pm and asleep by 11. I woke up around 6:30 and headed to the kitchen for my regular breakfast, PBJ toast and a banana, and then went to the bathroom (phew) and got dressed.

Since the race was so close to my dad's house, we decided to ride our bikes there. It was a quick little ride but we saw part of the race course and panicked about the hills I noticed. We picked up our bibs and goodie bags, and then I got started with my regular race shenanigans like a bathroom break, stretching, and fixing my shoelaces.

21:12. 2nd place AG. 18th overall
Gun went off a few minutes late around 8:35am and I was in the front from the start. I ran the first mile- almost all uphill- in 6:37 but felt pretty good. I was passing a lot of people and thought I was catching up to the lead women, but I never did. I started to feel tired around mile 1.4 and focused on just moving my feet and holding the pace. I crossed mile two in 6:55, a little slower than my first but still rocking it. Mile three I was just holding on for dear life. The race was much hillier than I expected but I felt like I handled it well. My last mile was 7:09, much slower than I wanted, and I took off for the finish as I turned the last corner. I saw the clock reading 20:xx and ran as fast as I could, knowing a PR was quite attainable at this point. I crossed in 21:12, right in front of a 9-year-old boy who had been with my the whole time. (uh... AMAZING!!). I was pretty stoked about the PR, don't get me wrong, but I was disappointed that my pace dropped so much in the last mile and that I never caught up to the lead females.

Family after the race
Overall, it was a pretty good day. The race is well organized and the volunteers were all helpful, and the post-race refreshments were awesomesauce. The only downside is they run several heats of a kids dash after the 5k so the awards ceremony started over an hour after I finished. After claiming my medal, we biked to a cafe for breakfast and then rode home. My shoulders are severely sunburned (oops) but my legs are feeling surprisingly good. Taking a rest day tomorrow to volunteer at Girls on the Run 5k and planning to run 13.1 miles with Nebby on Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment